Monday, August 3, 2009

Lesson in Diffusion: Sincerity

So. . .took my daughter and a friend to Sauvie Island (Oregon - sandy beaches on the Columbia River) the other day. Perfect weather. Gorgeous day.

Stopped to use a restroom and get something to drink on the way home. In the car and start to back up. SLAM!!!

Startled, I looked up into my rear view mirror to see the very angry face of a man screaming at me. What had I done??! Good lord, did I hit this guy? Where did he come from?? He wasn't there a second ago. . .

The man continues to scream at me: "You didn't even look!!"

I jumped out of my car to see a dog. Oh geez - had I hit the dog??!!

I immediately apologized and tried to figure out what had just happened. "Are you all right, sir?? Did I hit your dog??! I'm so sorry!"

After a minute or so, he calmed down.

Turns out his dog had jumped out of the back of his pick up and had taken off across the parking lot. Of course I had looked before backing up - but the dog had run behind my car right after I looked, and being dog-sized (the dog, not me), there was no way I could have seen him.

But none of this mattered. The main thing: was everyone all right??

I hadn't hit anything. The man, upset that his dog had jumped out of his truck, had slammed his hands on the back of my car.

The man apologized and gave us the peace sign as he and his dog drove off.

So. . .had I jumped out my car and displayed anger, this whole scene could've headed in a completely different direction.

Instead, I displayed my genuine concern and empathy.

Now, some people might say that was stupid of me. . .that I had potentially set myself up for liability.

Maybe.

But that's not the kind of world I want to live in.

So, instead I was genuine about my feelings.

I think it worked out okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment