Monday, July 20, 2009

about my less positive employment experiences. . .

So, the other day I mentioned kind of an unusual response to my acknowledgement that I am gay during a job interview ("Wonderful!! My wife won't have any reason to be jealous!") . . . well, here's another personal employment experience. . .

About 6 weeks into a new job at a mid-size law firm, I'm called into HR. At the time, I had no idea this is kind of like being called into the principal's office.

"Please, close the door." The HR person proceeds to tell me that I have offended a co-worker by my unprofessional behavior. A million snippets and snapshots are racing through my mind. What?? What could I possibly have done??

"She saw you hugging your partner in the women's restroom and it made her feel uncomfortable."

Yes - my partner had come by the office and we went for lunch. Yes - I made the conscious decision to give her a hug when she was leaving, but didn't want to risk offending anyone by giving her a hug in the hallway, so we stepped into the restroom. I know there was no one in the restroom - it was a small restroom. At this point I'm feeling pretty confused and conflicted. I apologize for my misconduct and assure her it won't happen again.

What had just happened?

A couple of weeks later, HR asked me if I'd like to go to lunch with her. I'm feeling a little uneasy, but figure I better say "yes." She shares with me her desire to be with a woman although she's married to a man.

Things got weirder and weirder after that . . . six weeks later I walked out of the place with no backup job.

To this day, I'm convinced there was some sort of video feed from the restroom to HR. . . or somewhere.

So much for my unprofessional behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment